The Roadmap for National Mental Health Reform (the Roadmap)22 represents the vision of the COAG in relation to mental health reform. The Roadmap emphasises that the voices of consumers and carers should be heard, and that policy should be guided by and respond to people's lived experience. The priorities of the Roadmap are to:
- Promote person-centred approaches
- Improve the mental health and social and emotional wellbeing of all Australians
- Prevent mental illness
- Focus on early detection and intervention
- Improve access to high quality services and supports
- Improve the social and economic participation of people with mental illness.