PDF version: How to collect your samples for testing (PDF 635 KB large file)
Please read all instructions before taking the 4 easy steps to collecting your two samples.
Need help?Call 1800 738 365 Monday - Friday between 9am to 5pm
Reading English a difficulty?Call us on 13 14 50
1. Collecting your first sample
- Use the blue stick.
- Empty your bladder, then flush the toilet.
- Float collection sheet print side up in the toilet bowl.
- Sit on the toilet and pass your bowel motion onto the sheet.
- The collection sheets will not affect any toilet system when flushed.
- NB: An old container can be used instead of the collection sheets if you prefer, but please do not flush the container down the toilet.
- Put the tip of the blue stick into your bowel motion and drag back and forth until you have no more than the size of a grain of rice on the end of the stick
- Push the blue stick fully into the collection tube until it clicks shut.
Don’t be concerned if it appears that hardly any faeces has passed into the liquid in the collection tube.
Important : Do not remove the blue stick after putting it into the collection tube. Top of page
2. Labelling and storing your sample
- Print your 'Name', 'Date of birth' and 'Date of sample' on the label and stick it around the collection tube.
- Put the collection tube into the screw-top transport tube.
- Screw on the cap and place it into the zip lock bag. Seal.
- Put the sealed zip lock bag into the blue mailing envelope.
- Important : - Store the blue mailing envelope so it keeps your samples between 2o and 10o – the fridge is a good spot.
- Important : - Do not freeze. Top of page
3. Collecting your second sample
- Use the red stick.
- The second sample should be taken preferably within 2-3 days. You can take the 2nd sample later on the same day if you like.
- Repeat all the steps the same as for '1. Collecting your first sample' and '2. Labelling and storing your sample'.
- Put this transport tube into the zip lock with the other tube then in the mailing envelope.
- Important - Until you post the envelope, continue to store in a place where the temperature is between 2o and 10oC.
- Important - Do not freeze. Top of page
4. Checklist for posting
- On the front of the blue mailing envelope, sign your name in the 'Senders signature' space.
- On the back of the blue mailing envelope, fill in 'Sender’s name' and 'Sender's address'.
- Important - Sign and date the Participant Details Form which is located in the large envelope that contained your NBCSP box.
- Place in the blue pre-paid mailing envelope:
- Your Participant Details Form.
- Zip lock bag containing the two labelled collection tubes which have been placed into the screw-top transport tubes.
- Post back your completed test as soon as you can.
- When travelling to post the mailing envelope, keep it dry and cool (below 25oC).
Post the blue Mailing Envelope at an Australia Post shop/ outlet.
If this is not possible, mail at an Australia Post post box. Top of page
InformationCall 1800 738 365, Mon – Fri between 9am to 5pm
Reading English a difficulty
Translating and interpreting servicesCall 13 14 50
WebCancer screening website Top of page
Storing your samplesStore the blue mailing envelope containing your samples between 20 and 100C - the fridge is the best place for your samples.
- Change your diet or medication.
- Freeze your samples.
Do not collect samples if:
- You have haemorrhoids (piles) which are bleeding.
- It is during or within 3 days either side of a menstrual period.
- Blood is present in your urine or present in the toilet bowl - in this case you should contact your doctor.
- You are scheduled for a colonoscopy in the near future.
- You have had a bowel condition in the last 12 months which is currently under treatment - consult your doctor if you are unsure. Top of page
National Bowel Cancer Screening Program
Product name - National Bowel Cancer Screening Program Kit
Pathology ServicesDorevitch Pathology
Mail the 'Blue mailing envelope' containing your test samples to:
Reply Paid 83974
PO Box 5018
Heidelberg West MDC VIC 3081
Sponsor of New Hemtube (B) - Siemens
Manufacturer of New Hemtube (B) - Fujirebio Inc
FOBT002 Version 08/14