National Bowel Cancer Screening Program's Information Booklet
What information is kept by the Program Register?The Program Register is administered by the Department of Human Services. It keeps personal information such as your name, contact details, age, gender, Medicare number, results of your screening test, the name of your nominated doctor and other health professionals who provide screening services to you and the results of any further tests you may have such as colonoscopy and histopathology results.
To invite you to take part in the program your name has been drawn from either the Medicare or Department of Veterans’ Affairs enrolment records.
What will this information be used for?Your personal details will be used to:
- remind you to complete your FOBT;
- assist you to receive appropriate follow up and access to health services in accordance with clinical guidelines;
- send reminder letters and/or make telephone calls (where necessary) to you and your nominated doctor;
- contact medical service providers to request relevant reports be submitted to the Program Register;
- check Medicare and Department of Veterans’ Affairs claims for bowel examinations if required; and
- monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the program and its impact on the incidence of bowel cancer.